Banking and Restucturing
We represent borrowers and creditors in credit transactions, including cross-border ones. We advise banks, financial institutions and creditors on the funding of business and investment projects, leveraged acquisitions of business entities, mezzanine financing and debt restructuring.
Banking and Restructuring practice at Dubiński Jeleński Masiarz and Partners has a long-standing experience in providing legal services for Polish and foreign banks and financial institutions, as well as their clients. We combine understanding of the needs of bank creditors in financial transactions and restructuring processes with the litigation experience which allows us to make effective use of legal procedures (including proceedings under bankruptcy law) for successful closing of transactions. Our lawyers are ranked in leading international rankings (including the IFLR and”Chambers and Partners”) as experts in financial transactions. Kazimierz Jeleński has been for years recommended by Chambers and Partners as Key Individual in banking and finance. “Kazimierz Jeleński is recognized as experienced in both financing and restructuring transactions. He is described as “dedicated” and “a very good negotiator with creative solutions.” (Chambers Global 2014). He is a board member of the Association of Restructuring Practitioners.
Financial and restructuring transactions finalised by our lawyers include advise for banks (e.g., Bank Zachodni WBK, Bank Pekao, PKO BP, mBank, DZ Bank, BNP Paribas, Credit Agricole, Bank Millennium, BGŻ, DNB Nord), financial institutions and borrowers, and investment funds (including private equity funds, real estate funds and mezzanine funds) in connection with financial transactions and restructuring, including project finance, leveraged acquisitions of business entities, mezzanine financing, and all types of finance for business and investment activity. We represent financial institutions acting as bondholders in the largest restructuring processes in recent years.
Representative transactions made with the participation of our lawyers included:
- advising bondholders in connection with the restructuring of Polimex-Mostostal S.A.;
- advising bondholders in connection with the bankruptcy of PBG S.A. and the related negotiations on the financial debt restructuring;
- advising mBank in connection with a joint venture with Orange Polska concerning the establishment of a financial platform in the form of a mobile retail bank for mobile device customers;
- advising a group of Polish banks in connection with restructuring a steel company debt of around PLN 2.5 billion;
- advising five banks on the restructuring of a noble metal processing company debt of around PLN 150 million;
- advising banks on debt restructuring for two companies operating in the fashion and fashion accessories business;
- advising Redan S.A. in connection with the restructuring of its financial debt towards its bank creditors and bondholders;
- advising PKM Duda in connection with the restructuring of its banking debt;
- advising three banks on the debt restructuring in the amount of around PLN 20 million of a company trading in steel;
- advising IDM S.A. in connection with the restructuring of its financial debt;
- advising bondholders in connection with the restructuring of their claims against a construction company (railroad infrastructure construction), a housing construction company and a drug producer;
- advising Stelmet S.A. in connection with the restructuring of a bank debt;
- advising Trakcja-Tiltra S.A. (owner of Poldim S.A.) in connection with the negotiated debt restructuring of Poldim S.A. (a company in charge of two motorway projects);
- advising sponsors and the borrower in connection with the fund raising for investment in Russia secured by an Export Credit Insurance Corporation (KUKE) guarantee (as project finance);
advising Bank Zachodni WBK on the financing of some ten investment projects, including project finance ones.